Delicious juice made from our magical shiso leaves, which turn from purple to green when in contact with water. A uniquely fresh and piquant juice that everyone will enjoy!
Serves: 5-6 people
Prep time: 10 min
18 oz Red/Purple Shiso leaves * 1 or 500
2 cups water *2 or 500ml
1/2 cup sugar *3 or 100
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar *4 or 60ml
1. Prepare shiso leaves to boil. Wash and trim the shiso leaves.
2. Bring the 2 cups of water to boil in a large saucepan and add the prepared shiso leaves.
3. Turn the heat down to medium heat and cook the shiso leaves for about a few minutes. The leaves colour will change from purple to a greenish colour.
4. Drain the shiso leaves with a strainer and squeeze the leaves to extract as much as you can. It is hot so be careful not to burn your fingers. I used a spoon to extract all liquid.
5. Place the drained liquid back to the saucepan and bring it simmer.
6. Add the sugar, and when the sugar is dissolved, turn the heat off and add the apple cider vinegar.
7. Cool it down and keep it in a clean bottle in a fridge. If you sterilize the container in which you keep the syrup, it will last about 6 months in the fridge.
8. To make shiso juice, place 1/4 cup of the syrup into a glass and pour about 200 ml of mineral water or fizzy soda water over the top. Add ice cubes.